Teaching Digital Literacy in Primary SchoolNov. 14, 2023
- During this teacher training workshop, NewTechKids will give participants a peak into how its teaching team is teaching digital literacy during school and after-school activities across Amsterdam. primary school teachers will learn what digital literacy is, receive guidance on how to introduce related classes and discover innovative teaching approaches. We’ll discuss curriculum and lesson scaffolding before providing participants with a hands-on class exercise: designing a 5-lesson digital literacy curriculum module.
2023 Tuesday Late Fall Bootcamp: 8-12 Yrs.Nov. - Dec. 2023
- During this NewTechKids bootcamp of 5 weekly workshops held on Thursday afternoons at the Amsterdam Public Library, kids will invent robots based on geography, culture and historical landmarks. They’ll become tech inventors by designing, building and coding a series of robots and tech prototypes during fun class challenges. Taught in combination of Dutch and English by native Dutch-speaking teacher. Girls and boys welcome. No previous experience needed. Subsidized spots available for kids with a Stadspas.
2023 Thurs. Late Fall Bootcamp: 8-12 Yrs.Nov. - Dec. 2023
- During this NewTechKids bootcamp of 6 weekly workshops held on Thursday afternoons at the Amsterdam Public Library, kids will become members of the Division Q spy agency. They’ll become tech inventors by designing, building and coding a series of robots and tech prototypes during fun class challenges. Taught in combination of Dutch and English by native Dutch-speaking teacher. Girls and boys welcome. No previous experience needed. Subsidized spots available for kids with a Stadspas.
2023 After-Christmas Bootcamp: 8-12 Yrs.Dec. 27-29, 2023
- During this NewTechKids bootcamp of 3 daily workshops held after Christmas at the Amsterdam Public Library, kids ages 8-12 will invent robots and tech prototypes based on popular Christmas movies such as ‘Home Alone’ and ‘The Grinch Who Stole Christmas’.They’ll become tech inventors by designing, building and coding a series of robots and tech prototypes. Taught in combination of Dutch and English by native Dutch-speaking teacher. Girls and boys welcome. No previous experience needed. Subsidized spots available for kids with a Stadspas.
2024 New Year's Bootcamp: 8-12 Yrs.Jan. 2-5, 2024
- During this NewTechKids bootcamp of 4 daily workshops held after Christmas at the Amsterdam Public Library, kids ages 8-12 will invent robots and tech prototypes to play traditional games such as dominos, ‘Hoedje Wip’, an old school Dutch catapult game with points, and pinball. They’ll become tech inventors by designing, building and coding a series of robots and tech prototypes during fun class challenges. Taught in combination of Dutch and English by native Dutch-speaking teacher. Girls and boys welcome. No previous experience needed. Subsidized spots available for kids with a Stadspas.
Where kids learn to shape their future, their way
NewTechKids is a technology education academy in Amsterdam dedicated to igniting the problem-solving capabilities and innovative spirit of children. Our programs, taught in Dutch and English, teach primary school children computational thinking and the fundamental concepts which power technology, programming and information in the digital age. Gadgets, applications, software and hardware change continuously, the core concepts don’t. Our staff of computer science teachers and innovation specialists guide kids in acquiring knowledge and skills related to designing, programming, testing and creating stuff that matters to them. The future belongs to NewTechKids. Watch out, Silicon Valley. We’re coming for you!
We care so much about 21st century education that we are playing an active role in shaping it.
NewTechKids is a leader in teaching computational thinking skills to primary school-aged children via computer science and tech literacy programs taught during school classes and as after-school activities.
We also organize teacher training programs because teachers and schools play an integral role in ensuring that all students have a solid foundation to understand technology and the thinking and problem-solving behind it.
Our main goals are to help transform children from passive technology users into passionate inventors and prepare them to become future innovators and entrepreneurs.
NewTechKids programs won’t turn children into master coders or give them specific technical skills. Our pedagogy, curriculum and lesson plans provide kids with a strong foundation to understand technology: how it works, why it works and how to think in order to invent new solutions. Computer science education is an excellent way to help kids acquire 21st century skills: critical thinking, problem-solving, collaboration, communication and creativity.
Most of our classes are taught in a combination of English and Dutch. Technology and computer science vocabulary is primarily in English and our programs help children learn English if it is not their native language.
NewTechKids is a member of the Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA), an industry organization with more than 25,000 members from more than 154 countries which supports and promotes the teaching of computer science from kindergarten to grade 12. We serve as part of CSTA’s 12-person International Committee, contributing to the Association’s strategies around international membership growth, diversity issues and information exchange.
We combine four magical ingredients in our programs. Computational thinking skills help children master the thought process needed to develop solutions which can be carried out by computers in partnership with humans. Computer science education helps children understand the core concepts which apply to all forms of technology. Our curriculum covers algorithmic thinking, programming, systems thinking, and design. Technological literacy helps children understand the technology present in the world around them in order to make conscious decisions. Innovation processes help children transform what they learn into their own inventions. During our programs, kids become comfortable with prototyping, designing, testing and iteration, all important aspects of the innovation process.
As a company founded by two women, NewTechKids is dedicated to increasing the participation of girls and low-income youth in computer science education. We’re developing strategies which help girls and low-income youth learn and excel in mixed-gender classrooms which are the norm in primary and high school. Boys, girls and children from different backgrounds benefit from working and learning together.
We teach children to understand concepts such as systems thinking, resources, requirements, programming, automation and design. During our programs, children learn core concepts individually and in connection with each other.
We design our classes so that children collaborate. In teams, children learn to explain their thinking, engage in problem-solving, develop interpersonal skills and practice giving and receiving constructive feedback.
We help children design, test and improve their inventions with feedback from peers and teachers. Our teaching tools range from no tech (pen and paper) to high tech (programmable robot kits).
All of our classes involve challenges which encourage children to turn abstract concepts into tangible solutions. Failure is celebrated (and even deliberately included) to help children learn the importance of grit, perseverance and problem-solving.
Entrepreneur, tech ed advocate and proactive parent. That's me.Read More
Art and Computer Science teacher. Passionate artist and maker. That's me.Read More
Computer science teacher, champion of computing in the arts. That's me.Read More
Computing teacher, champion of girls in computer science. That's me.Read More
the latest from
This week, NewTechKids continued with our digital literacy lessons for kindergarten students at Wereldwijs primary school. The last few lessonsRead more
Register here. NewTechKids will be giving a teacher training workshop focused on introducing digital literacy to primary school students. SinceRead more
NewTechKids has taught tech education and computer science classes for more than nine years and we've taught kids from allRead more
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Thanks for your interest in NewTechKids. Sign up to receive our email newsletter and stay updated on our programs and developments in technology and programming education for primary school children. To receive email alerts about upcoming programs related to specific age ranges, please choose one or more of the options below.
We’d be happy to discuss our academy and programs with you in more detail, whether you’re a prospective student, parent, teacher, school director or after-school program facilitator.
email us: info(at)newtechkids.com
write us: Prinsengracht 462G, 1017 KG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
call us: +31 657 999 346